[TenTec] Ten Tec 238 coupler and 160 meters

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sat Nov 9 18:49:35 EST 2013

> That's a new one on me.  How could loss be less with high SWR on a
> short length of coax?  It makes no sense.

The loss in coax at HF frequencies is not that high, and the additional
loss due to high SWR is also not that high. (At least compared to what
happens at VHF) For HF systems keeping SWR low on coax is still a good
idea, but it is more to reduce the possibility of HV arc over than to
minimize the loss. (A matter of opinion no doubt, but if you work out
the numbers you may have the same opinion) If the added line is short
and makes it easier for the tuner to match, the additional loss in the
coax is likely to be less than the reduced loss in the tuner when it
sees an easier to match impedance.

DE N6KB