[TenTec] 539

n3wm n3wm at qis.net
Sun Nov 17 19:55:11 EST 2013

Hi Rod,

I've had my 539 since March and find it to be a great rig. I'm an avid
CW operator and the 539 is very good..especially the receiver. That is
the main reason I decided to go with the 539. I wanted a very good
receiver to operate QRP or use as a second receiver for my Omni VII.
When using it as a second receiver I am able to turn the RF power down
to absolute zero to protect the Omni VII. This summer I ran the 539
barefoot into a simple attic dipole and was able to work into Europe (on
CW) frequently.

I encourage you to see the reviews on eham...most are very good. It is
an SDR radio which allows Ten Tec to improve the feature set and to make
other improvements.  The only feature missing in my opinion is VOX. This
is in the works. John Henry of Ten Tec engineering has been very good
about keeping the Ten Tec user groups informed. If you already own a Ten
Tec rig you know about the great factory support. BTW HRD and some of
the other log control programs work fine.

I hope this helps in your decision.

73's

Bill N3WM