[TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 1 14:48:55 EDT 2013

On 10/1/2013 7:51 AM, Richards wrote:
> These receive only antennas are nice to have, but I figure it is
> better to improve one's transmit antennas if possible - especially if
> one can can replace them with antennas with more gain.

RX-only antennas are most useful on bands where it is impractical or
expensive to get directivity from your TX antenna  -- 160, 80, 60, 40,
and 30.

Another VERY important point. Contrary to manufacturers' claims,  it is
VERY difficult to get much more than about 5 dB gain over a dipole with
a collection of aluminum on a boom. That was the clear result of
extensive measurements by N0AX and K7LXC of a dozen or so of a broad
selection of tri-banders.  An M-squared C3 was the best of the small
ones, with an average gain of 3.4 dB across the three bands. A Mosley
TA33 was only 1.6 dB (loss in the traps made the difference).  An
M-squared C-31XR (31 ft boom) was the best of the big ones with 5.3 dB
over a dipole, a Cushcraft X9 was 5dB, a Bencher Skyhawk was 4.4 dB, the
rest were less than 4 dB, and several big Mosley antennas had negative
gain!

73, Jim K9YC