[TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Oct 1 17:07:47 EDT 2013

I just googled the report, found it and read the brief.
I certainly will buy this report.
I bought their vertical report long ago and it was well worth the money.

I have to agree with Jim.
It really aggravates us to see some companies advertising their short-boom
trap yagis with 6 or 7 dBd.
We advertise our Yagi (boom length 33 ft.) with 4.5 dBd and I am constantly
being asked why it is so much worse than model XY from some other company.

I also wanted to buy Joel's new book on analyzers, but the ARRL wanted twice
as much for shipping as the book costs.
What I would really like to do is buy both books at once, bundle them and
ship them together at normal prices.
K7LXC will ship the book for $15 to Europe.  The ARRL wanted about $50.  I
assume both can be shipped together for $15 or $20.

ANYONE COMING TO EUROPE ANY TIME SOON?
You can still catch the tail end of the Oktoberfest if you hurry!

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:46 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

On 10/1/2013 1:29 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> One of the dangers when comparing trap beams to monobanders or beams
> like the SteppIR or some of the wire/fiberglass beams is, the trap
> beams only show maximum gain near the center of the bands.

The NOAX/K7LXC tests used frequencies at the center of each band, 25 kHz
inside the band edges on 20 and 15, 50 kHz inside on 10M (considering
28450 the center of 10M). The numbers I quoted are for the average of all of
those measurements.

You can buy the reports on both these tri-bander measurements and the later
vertical antenna measurements from K7LXC. They are well worth the money, not
only because one can learn so much by studying them, but also because they
provide an excellent BS filter when you're reading manufacturers' wild
claims about gain. :)

73, Jim K9YC.