[TenTec] What is Tentec Doing Today?

Thu Oct 10 18:42:22 EDT 2013

I suppose I'm no different than everyone else.  I want everything first and I want it now.  However, in my 50+ years associated with ham radio and being some 70+ years senior, I've learned it just won't happen that way.  Some things move on punctually while others seem to drag on like molasses pouring on a cold winter day.

Like most folks we only look at or for the specific product of our interest without looking at the big picture which encompasses all models and products.   In looking over the Tentec website for Transceiver Downloads for firmware I find the following available today:

565 Orion - 8 versions available
566 Orion II - 8 versions -- the latest released today
588 Omni VII - 4 versions available
599 Eagle - 12 versions available
539 Argonaut VI - 2 versions available
506 Rebel - 1 version available

This doesn't include the programmers reference manual and information, schematics, and manual updates all of which are available.  I suppose this seems to indicate that Tentec is not standing still, not failing to support radio models that are no longer in production and they do support the current products as well as new product introductions.  And this in no way reflects their area of the commercial business which I'm sure takes a significant amount of available technical resources.

Do the other major 4 or 5 major ham radios companies do this by supporting model upgrades or enhancements?  My view is "nope", they just introduce a new model for us to buy,  significantly devaluing the model we just purchased last year.

Regarding the enhanced Ethernet and OnePlug interface, just how many customers actually need or use this?  Oh I know, it hasn't worked well in the past for some, although some report good success with the current release.  But would the enhancements make a big difference in usage and or sales?  I seriously doubt it.   More likely it falls in place for a select few that have experienced issues.

Regarding the High Speed Sweep or Real Time Spectrum Display what ever it's called.  Again, just how many can be expected to buy the upgrade?  Maybe 100, maybe 250, or maybe just 50.  Does this small number make it worth the effort and investment?  And what would you expect to pay for an option such as this?  Maybe $250, maybe $500, maybe FREE.........I doubt it.  Do the math, where's the break even point in terms of business.

Granted the Omni VII is getting "long in the tooth" but it is still one of the better performers, easier operating, better sounding radios on the market today.  Want a better performing radio?  Buy and Eagle.  It's less money, better performance, great audio but certainly you'll find less features.  By the way, personally I've just started using my Eagle as my mobile.  This is one super performing radio in that environment.

I'm just like everybody else.  I patiently wait for any and all upgrades and enhancements.  In the mean time, I realize I have some of the best performing, if not the best performing products on the ham market for the price on my desk today.

73
Bob, K4TAX

DISCLOSURE:
This is to inform all persons, I am a Tentec Ambassador and I receive compensation according to the Tentec Ambassador program.  In addition, I serve as a volunteer beta test person to Tentec for the Omni VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI radios.  I hold no employment relationship, no financial interests nor do I conduct any commercial business, direct or indirect, with Tentec.

Recent Activity: a.. New Members 5 a.. New Photos 3
Visit Your Group
To visit your group on the web, go to: