[TenTec] Orion Power Out

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Oct 12 11:35:12 EDT 2013

First thing I would do is check the voltage sag, and I would worry if
you observe ANY substantial voltage sag. I heartily second Bob's
(K4TAX) comments.

Here is MY checklist developed after having a similar problem with a
Jupiter:

	1)  Use 12 gauge or better wire.

		[Oddly the manual says this, but
		TT supplies power cables made from
		14 g wire.]

	2)  Keep power cables as short as possible.

	3)  DO NOT use any intermediate power
		distribution equipment such as a
		RigRunner or other power strip.

	4)  Best to have only one radio connected to
		the supply at a time - or at least
		only one rig on at any one time.

	5)  Measure sag with a digital volt meter
		and ANY significant sag signals
		a problem.

	6)  Measure the sag at the supply end for
		sure, and also at the rig end.

	7)  A sag of more than .3 to.5 v is too much.

How do I know?  I had a Jupiter that was drawing considerably more
current that normal, and the voltage sag was greater than 1v, requiring
a trip to TT HQ for a new logic chip and related adjustment.

It came back 100 w on all bands.  But, before that, it showed all sorts
of deviation in power out, and the voltage sag at the power supply was
substantial.   Upon its return from TT, it played like brand new and
voltage sag was less than .5v on any band under any load.

Just MY take.