[TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Oct 12 13:51:54 EDT 2013

What is nearby that could be affecting the antenna?

My aluminum dipoles often exhibit strange, wild swings with a change in
position in the yard.  Something nearby may be coupling and affecting
it.  And sometimes these things work in reverse, and don't match
reasonable expectations.   Some of my dipoles showed lower, and some
higher, SWR after raising them 15 feet higher - I expected the changes
to be consistent (in the same direction) in such similar cases.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to discern what it is, and (worse)
may not be able to alter the situation.

(My personal worst fear is I will someday discover a huge magnetic "load
stone" buried in my back yard, and only then discover why it seems like
an episode of the Twilight Zone back there...)

Good luck, OM.