[TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

Marsh Stewart marsh at ka5m.net
Tue Oct 15 10:33:31 EDT 2013

Mike,

Modeling your doublet with EZNEC+ ver 5.0.59 and making 3 assumptions:
1. The antenna is in a straight line
2. Each end slopes down from 50 ft to 10 ft above the ground
3. Freq 1.830 MHz
EZNEC calculates the feedpoint impedance to be 15.44 +j44.89

Using TLW with a load of 15.44 +j44.89 on the antenna end and 170 feet of
600-ohm open-wire ladder line, the impedance at the station end would be
about 45.31 -j764.71 or about 766 ohms at -87 degrees.

Your actual measured impedances will vary from the calculated values due to
unknown variables such as nearby objects, house wiring, etc.

With a 1:1 balun (common mode choke) a high-pass L "antenna tuner" would
need about 32.75 uH of inductance and about 118.1 pF of capacitance. The
voltage across the inductor would be 5703 volts, and the voltage across the
capacitor would be 5716 volts.

My Ten-Tec 238C "antenna tuner" has an 18uH inductor and the variable
capacitor has a voltage rating of 3500 volts. It is advertised to match at
least an SWR of 10:1 any phase angle. You are asking your "antenna tuner" to
match about a 34:1 SWR at a phase angle of -87 degrees.

Of course your antenna / transmission system CAN be matched to 50 ohms at
1.830 MHz, but a commercial "standard antenna tuner" might not do it.

There are others with considerable technical knowledge and years of
real-world experience that regularly read and respond to posts on this
reflector. Perhaps they will offer more insight on this interesting
real-world application.

73,
Marsh, KA5M