[TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.

Paul Harker paul.r.harker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 17:30:31 EDT 2013

Try as I might my old Ungar iron and roll of SolderWick fight a losing
battle against the leads. I've got a 70W digital-control solder station so
I ordered a much heftier chisel tip element for it. The elements I have are
only good for tiny surface-mount chips.

Replacement transistors will be my next issue. Unmatched MRF458s (per
Mike)  at about $50, matched at about $60, or matched MRF454s (per Paul at
TenTec) for a whopping $125.

The 454s have higher current/power ratings and slightly higher gain at some
frequencies. These are what TenTec uses for in-house repairs.

Decisions, decisions...