[TenTec] Requirements for a top tier DXing rig

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Oct 18 18:24:49 EDT 2013

This is an interesting point... considering it now, I hardly tweak the
radio during a contest.   I only adjust it when I encounter a difficult
or weak signal, and then leave it while I take stranger stations.  It
gets tweaked again only if I encounter an even more difficult signal,
after which I leave it and take stronger callers.   If I get a really
loud signal, then I just grin and bear it, and I don't tweak the rig
again - just log it and take the next call.  That way, the radio sorta
ends up set for the lowest signal received to date, and I try to keep my
hands on the keyboard running the logging program.

One thing I DO NOT LIKE AT ALL... is having a spotter or helper run the
log program.  I worked alone in business, and prefer that in a contest,
also.  One of the old guys I contest with thinks everyone should have a
spotter, but I don't like it.   Once I get in the groove, I sorta become
one with the logging program and I try to type the call sign as I hear
it, having another guy in the mix is distracting.   Other guys seem to
like having a logger/spotter, but not I.