[TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 22 14:30:52 EDT 2013

I think the thing to remember about rx antennas like small loops is
that, while some of the noise may have a preferred polarization and
small loops may provide some polarization isolation, they mostly reduce
noise because of their directional characteristics. While they have very
low efficiency, that's not a problem for rx purposes. If we assume that
the noise comes equally form all directions because a loop has such
sharp nulls means that the noise in those nulls is heavily attenuated
while the desired signal isn't. If there is a particular noise source
(that's not in the direction of your desired signal) adjusting the loop
to null that source may be even more beneficial.

Kim N5OP