[TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Sep 22 17:58:52 EDT 2013

Compared to what?  Want to make your TX signal 10dB louder?  You're
going to spend $1k - $5K for a decent amp.  Yes, you can get junk for
less.  You're going to spend $1K - $4K to buy a tribander and put it on
a tower.

I work a lot of contests, some running legal limit, some QRP. I've got
decent TX and RX antennas, there are guys who I regularly hear at S9
plus who can never seem to hear me, while I'm working lots of stations
all around them. Classic case of an alligator -- big mouth, no ears.
These guys call CQ non-stop, often without making a QSO because they
can't hear people calling them.

As to the cost of their systems -- there are four short verticals, four
preamp/line drivers, a phasing network, switching to choose the desired
direction, all made in USA, and a licensing fee to the company who
claims a patent on it. Yes, we could build from scratch.  How much is
your time worth?  Do you have the skills and knowledge? :)

73, Jim K9YC