[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 5 02:07:56 EDT 2014

I have to agree with Barry.
I went from a VI+ to a K3 and felt like a fish out of water.

With the VI+, if I wanted to change a parameter in a hurry during a contest,
it was always just one single push button away - no waste of time trying to
remember the command or pushing multiple buttons before I could twist a
knob; just push a button!

The VI+ was about as simple to use as any radio could be.
I needed the manual ALL the time with the K3, but I only owned it for 6 or 7
months and I did not use it daily.
Since it was an early K3 (2010) the audio was crap.  That has kinda been
fixed now.  Let's say it's a little better.

If I had to choose between the two, AND I knew I could get my VI+ repaired
(get spare parts) for 10 more years, I would choose the OMNI!  But I'd add
the INRAD roofing filters.  I'm sure if it were completely in Ten-Tec's
power to do so, they would support the Omni VI+ another 10 years but that no
longer works under today's business model.

When I upgraded from the K3 to the Eagle, I read the manual once before it
arrived and in 3 years using it, I've only had to consult its manual 3 or 4
times.

"Upgrade" is the best word to describe it in my view.
Anyone that thinks radios are ranked according to Rob's list is fooling
himself.  That list shows only one single attribute of the radios.  Radios
have hundreds of other features and functions that all contribute to the
overall quality and fun factor.

Being an infrequent radio user, sometimes going for a month or two without
turning a radio on, it's nice to be able to sit down at a modern radio and
just use it without having to look stuff up in its manual.
I just wish its S-meter was larger (better yet, I wish my eyesight was
better).

I do not dislike the K3 and most likely would still have one if a better
radio had not come along!
Of course  YOUR  mileage may vary, but I measured mine very carefully!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)