[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

John Huffman hjohnc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:06:44 EDT 2014

Rick -

Carl handled the USB port issue.  Let me give you my two cents on the
dxpedition part of your message.

You said - "if you are going on an expedition with 20 other guys, you
need to take rigs that people are familiar with..."  and "the boys don't
like different. "

One of the most successful dxpeditions in the past few years was T32C
with over 200,000 QSOs.  The boys 'liked' the FT5000 and that was the
rig they were going to use.  The container got lost and at the last
minute Yaesu gave them ten FT-450s to use.

The FT-450 may be the least expensive rig available.  It is one of the
simplest to use.  I doubt any of the big gun ops were familiar with it.
But, the results of the dxpediton were outstanding.  Just maybe a good,
solid, simple radio will do a great job.  The Eagle falls into that
category.  I wonder what would happen if Ten Tec gave dxpeditions
'loaner' Eagles?

73 de K1ESE
John