[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Apr 8 03:54:10 EDT 2014

You took the point out of context of the rest of the paragraph, James.
As a stand-alone point it is not true - not because the missing Omni-Rig
support in unimportant, but rather because most people don't even know it is
missing Omni-Rig support.   Therefore it is not a factor in the decision
process - unless someone would actually test one first.

There are many radio features required by a contest team.
Some of the points are so important that they are a show stopper on their
own.

For example, when they first announced, Kenwood loaned the BCC (my contest
club) two brand new Kenwood TS-590's with the hope that it would replace our
previous "standard transceiver", the TS-850.  If the tests had been
successful, they would have sold several hundred radios immediately.

We tested the TS-590 intensively and rejected the radio on several points,
but the biggest point was "no band data available on the rear panel to drive
band-dependent accessories".
THAT IS A SHOW STOPPER FOR A MULTI-MULTI STATION.
The Eagle is missing this too.  GAME OVER.

If I had to give just one reason why the Eagle would not be accepted by the
BCC, it would be because of the ergonomics of using it.  They wouldn't even
get as far as measuring anything.  Most of the guys here just don't like the
look and feel of how the Ten-Tec radios run - because they are different,
and the Eagle is even more different!
We have a small bunch of about 20 guys who love their Ten-Tec's but we can't
convince the other 380 guys!

IMO, most people either love their Ten-Tec radios, or they hate them.
Seems there is no in-between.  At least not on this side of the pond.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)