[TenTec] Varied Wishes and ramblings

John Henry jhenry at tentec.com
Tue Apr 8 23:01:51 EDT 2014

I hope everyone can see just from these last two threads, that there is a
huge variation in what hams expect of their rigs. If I look at this from
the outside, looking at TEN-TEC, and what TEN-TEC has made through the
years, I believe that TEN-TEC has done a great job in giving the consumers
what they want, mostly.
Look at the Orion series of rigs. Fantastic performance for contesting,
great features on the front panel, a sweep that works fairly good, but of
course limited by size and other constraints, and so many things to so many
different hams that wanted x and another didn't want x but wanted y
instead, well, mostly, it was there on the Orion. The antenna matrix,
fantastic, the band data outputs, serial control of a lot of the functions
for the PC hounds and the interfaces for the same PC hounds with their
SDR's doing "fantastical" PC sweeps/waterfalls/skimming/coffee making. It's
there. For the audio enthusiast, binaural, spatial, agc tailoring, ground
breaking stuff years ago, that still most don't really comprehend and well,
why does everyone have to? they don't, just use it stock, and it
outperforms just about anything on the market in just about any condition.
The OMNI-VII, only things it's really missing is a second receiver and a
functional sweep (plus a few tricks we have up our sleeves in store for it).
Of course, some would not consider an OMNI-VII because of something it
lacks that the Orion has, or vice versa. Or the competitor rig y has the
feature required.  Maybe it is missing band data outputs, antenna matrix,
two main VFOs, etc., but, it is a stellar performer, demo's with the
Ethernet are going fantastic from new hams trying out the rig in the
TEN-TEC sales shack getting audio reports of great audio. Yes, I'm still
beta testing one baby step at a time on a new Ethernet set of code, will be
out...xxxx
Yes, some issues, with all the rigs, but, well, all in all, the rigs have
done great, and will continue to do great.

Just look at the differences "REQUIRED" of the one feature, the sweep. Some
could care less and want us to quit working on it for the 588 and will
never fire it up for the 566. Yet some REALLY NEED it to work on the 588.
So, as someone mentioned earlier, that means we need to design interfaces
in the hardware for optional add-ons. Not an issue, because if I start with
a bare OMNI-VII, almost all of those interfaces already exist (talking
about interfaces to additional hardware options, not GUI's). Same for the
Eagle, same for the Orion(s).

As I read some people's inputs, the Eagle has EVERYTHING they will ever
need. Why? Because it is an absolute top notch performer in receiver
quality and sound. For some, it has an absolutely easy to use easy to
access feature set that covers every requirement they need. Some use it
connected to a PC for getting the things they want out of it.
As I read some peoples inputs, the Eagle needs so much more to make it the
ultimate rig, well, those are good thoughts, good wishes.

Same for the OMNI-VII.

With all of the above, the variances in customer wishes, required features,
etc., we try to design something that can do all for the ultimate
configuration users like the super serious PC driving
contesters/dxers/etc.ers, at the same time of hitting the requirements of
the front panel only user who wants to dominate the same contests, at the
same time of hitting the requirements of a rag chewer who gets on from time
to time and wants to drive it from the PC or the front panel or a
combination of both.

When these threads started, my inbox must have had an increase of about
50-100 more emails a day, just on the wishes for an Orion III and it's
"required" features. That also lead to requests for the sweep for the
OMNI-VII, Vox for the Argonaut VI, etc., etc.
It just takes time to get those things out.
Doing what we can.
No, I'm not complaining, don't take this post this way, I do really
appreciate the inputs, it helps confirm the direction we are going, and
also brings to light things we had forgotten that others thought were
really important, that in our way of operating or thinking, well, they
weren't thought of as needed, so we can rethink them again, and why.
heck, even inside TEN-TEC there is a great disparity on some features, what
is included, why, who would ever use this, etc.
Somewhere, in the end, we hope to find the happy middle ground, medium.

Now, sometimes, we will make things that people have no idea why, e.g. the
506 is one of them. I have had MANY emails and calls about that was the
worst way and thing TEN-TEC could ever have made, not an Orion or Eagle or
even a traditional Corsair or Tritan... well, true, but, it helps others
get into the hobby, brings joy back to hams that had gotten out of the
hobby because they were disheartened, and the 506 brought them back, and
they are having fun again.

Of course, when threads like this occur, I do get emails from hams saying
they will wait on their purchase now for the hope of the ultimate x
transceiver. Well, my input to that is... Why wait, I mean, you have the
opportunity now, the rig you are looking at really does fit your
requirements today, and besides, you may get hit by a bus in a month and
would not have enjoyed the rig. TEN-TEC could get hit by a bus itself, and
the future ultimate x transceiver won't see the light of day and you would
have missed out on the rig we have now. Go ahead and get that OMNI-VII, or
get that Eagle, or Argonaut VI, or 506, you can always trade it in next
year or the year after for the ultimate x transceiver, if/when it comes
out. Heck, if everyone waits for the next big TEN-TEC rig, there won't be a
"next big TEN-TEC rig" because everyone waiting will tank the company due
to lack of sales.
I know a lot that have waited on buying their next transceiver, waiting for
the new ultimate xxx that is now on the market, well, it ain't filling
their bill, ain't performing near what their other two rigs were that they
traded in to be able to afford it. ain't living up to expectations, etc.
etc. No, this isn't a knock on a specific one, but sometimes the kool-aid
makes one think it is best to get the one thing, when what they had in the
TEN-TEC rigs did actually fulfill all they needed.
So, go get your OMNI-VII now, ....

'nuff said, time for me to get some shut eye

Thanks, and 73,
John Henry, KI4JPL
TEN-TEC Engineering