[TenTec] Varied Wishes and ramblings

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Wed Apr 9 08:10:13 EDT 2014

Rick et al,

>From my days buying and installing hundreds of mid sized electronic Private
Business Exchanges or PBX (telephone systems) across the United States (and
a few in Canada) for a major US based insurance group; we found that a while
these systems had 256 feature options with one to sixteen choices in each,
most users (80%) never got beyond a dozen features used, ten percent used
less than six features (Plain Old Telephone) and ten percent used perhaps
two dozen features.

But much of those feature used percentages were skewed by the user
interface; give the user a plain vanilla phone, where * or # and two digits
were required to activate or turn off a feature and the feature use went
down. Give the user a electronic phone where the user programmed all the
features and usage went down. Give the user a custom programmed phone (for
their job) with a few soft keys that they use and feature use went up.

We have some the of same issues here with this discussion , we each have
different wants and needs depending on how we use our radios. I was never in
the market for the Orion or Orion II.  It may be a great radio but it has
too many feature settings for me. I've grown accustomed to WYSIWYG in the
OMNI-C Digital, CORSAIR-II, Paragon, OMNI-VI+, and OMNI-VII (which I can
option the sub-RX for either the CORSAIR-II or FLEX-1500).  I have a good
friend and neighbor who I encouraged to buy an ORION II, he really likes it,
but his experiences confirmed the Orion was not for me, no I'm NOT
interested thank you.

Give me a two receiver version of the OMNI-VII or true dual receive with a
matching outboard receiver module (think external VFO of the CORSAIR II) IF
and I/Q outputs and I'm ready to buy.

73 & DX,
Gary - AB9M