[TenTec] USER INTERFACE: Wish List for ORION-III

george fritkin georgefritkin at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 12:51:30 EDT 2014

Today Ten-Tec has lost its edge.  The ORION ll was ahead of its time and now other manufactures have caught.  The latest so called mid range products from YAESU and Kenwood (I have them) have caught up in a dramatic way.

It is as much the marketing as anything.  Just look at Elecraft.  I have their products too. Elecraft buyers are "razors".  Look at their reflectors.  I have the new Argo and the KX3.  I like the Argo better.  It is so much easier to use.  Sure it lacks some features (last month I had my first QSO on 12 meters since the band was opened) most of which you do not need.  And I consistently get better audio reports with the Argo.

What I am saying it is not only  the product but also how it is promoted.  Wayne and Eric are high profile guys.  You get the feeling the company is one big happy family.  If you write anything negative about consistently late over promised delivery dates you get "shouted down"

 Ten-Tec customers are loyal, but not like that.  The demise of the Oll is understandable but sad.  The Oll is a benchmark radio.  It is  still a top performing radio after all these years.  But sadly it just disappeared with nothing on the horizon(?).

If Ten-Tec were my company, I would concentrate on  mid range products and newer hams that are more computer oriented .   Instead of the computer being an extension of the radio, make the radio an extension of the computer

You may know that Boeing still uses a wheel for aircraft control, but Airbus uses a joy stick.  For such a complex machine as an airplane what a simple but unique product differentiator

Anyway just random thoughts

George, W6GF

Owner of following      ORION ll, OMNI Vll, Eagle, ArgoVl, K3,KX3,TS590,FTDX3000,FTDX5000................. ETC ETC...............not bragging just saying