[TenTec] USER INTERFACE

Rsoifer at aol.com Rsoifer at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 14:42:24 EDT 2014

I have a different point of view than some I have seen on this  reflector.
I am a serious DXer, mostly on CW, but not an active contester  nor a
computer "power user."  (The two are increasingly related.)  I  received my BSEE
50 years ago but never actually practiced that  honorable profession (I
worked in finance).  I can no more write software  than I can Chinese.

As a DXer, I am beginning to notice that the use of Skimmers is becoming
counter-productive (however useful they may be in contests).  When a  station
gets through the pile and works the rare DX station, so  many stations move
to the successful caller's frequency that unless you  have a super-station
signal, you'll never win by joining them.  You'll do a  lot better by
finding a clear spot and letting the DX op find you.

I find that the sweep display of the Orion II, plus my ears, are good
enough to do that.  I put the DX on one ear and the callers on the other,
tuning the latter while watching the display.  For me, the computer  interface is
unnecessary when operating CW, most of the time anyway.

73 Ray W2RS