[TenTec] How much should an ORION-III cost?

leen3lpj leen3lpj at nep.net
Thu Apr 10 07:03:11 EDT 2014

    Whatever the name of the future flagship, Ten Tec needs to have a price
that allows them to make a profit.  We should back them 100% on this.
    They aren't making a huge amount of money on these radios.
    If the parts cost a certain amount and you double or triple that it
still wouldn't cover their costs.  The price of the radio doesn't account
for all the years of software updates we look for.
    Other companies sell you the radio then you have to pay for any upgrades
yearly.  Maybe Ten Tec needs to go this way, I hope not.
    I would think a price for this new rig would be around $6,000.  If was
above that I would still buy one.  I'm willing to pay more to keep them in
buisness.  This price isn't going to break anyone here, when I see all the
other radios that we have in our shacks.
    If you were to go into amateur astronomy take a look at the prices of
some of their flapship telescopes.  They don't constantly upgrade their
software or harware for years to come.
            Lee   N3LPJ