[TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 03:04:37 EDT 2014

*You guys are killing me here! I have never owned my first piece of Collins
Equipment. Always said that I would own a Collins before assuming Room
Temperature. At 59 years old, I seem to be running out of time. But, the
top item on my Want It List...... is to own another Drake R-4/T-4 Twins
setup. With a good filter package... Best darned receiver I have ever
owned! There is hope on the horizon. Being physically disabled, I may have
found one of those rare technical jobs left for us old TV Men/Electronics
Techs that needs no real physical labor .... Cross your fingers for me
folks. Although Social Security is a Great fall back for the Disabled, I
just wasn't raised this way. Disability is not making a living, it is
basically.... Just Survival. *

*A quick shout out to Ron N. It was a pleasure to rebuild the Audio Amp and
re-work the Argonaut 505 for you. You can only imagine the satisfaction I
got from working with Germanium Transistors again after all these years.
Thank You Ron, for your public recognition here on the reflector. We are
sorry that you had to make room in the Shack for that New Ten Tec. And are
very happy that the Argonauts new owner is well pleased with it. *
*.*
*I finally got to play with an Eagle this week. I was amazed at the Build
Quality and also how well the receiver worked. The Eagles Noise Blanker
took care of some really nasty QRM from Power Lines, that my Paragons Noise
Blanker just can't quite take care of. We are really looking forward to
Field Day this year. My friend will be bringing his Orion-2 ... Can you
folks guess where I will be sitting as much as I can?*

*It is always a pleasure for me to help folks out with the Older Ten Tec
Rigs. And Yes.... I understand why my friends ship the Newer ones back to
Ten Tec for service. Heck, I would even send a Newer Ten Tec to the
factory. If, I owned one and of course if it needed service. *

*My idea for the Omni III would be Big and Many Knobs for tasks like RF
Gain, Mic Gain, Processor Gain and such. Also, Menus that are grouped into
common functions. And please, bring back the RF Squelch function that works
in SSB Mode. My Paragon has the RF Squelch feature in SSB and during the
day, just monitoring a frequency on 40 or 80 Meters .... it works Great.
The Omni 6 has Squelch Control but it is disabled in SSB Receive. Heck, for
all I know the New Models may have a working SSB Squelch Circuit?*
*
   73 to All from Wade/KJ4WS*