[TenTec] OMNI VII, Herc II, QSK

k6jek k6jek at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 01:03:29 EDT 2014

Perhaps you lead a charmed life.

Mine didn't work. Garry Green of Ten-Tec service said, indeed it doesn't work as designed with the OMNI VII. With earlier transceivers, yes. With the OMNI VII, no.  I needed to short D11 on the control board of the Hercules II. Maybe yours already has that modification or perhaps yours is a newer revision with some other change. Mine is early. The OMNI VII is early too.

Here's the issue. To assert TX Enable (aka Key Out), the Hercules II drops that line to ground. But it doesn't quite make it there. It gets to about 1.2 - 1.3 V above ground which is not low enough for the OMNI VII.

That line is collector of the Darlington pair Q1 -> D11 (1N4002) -> OMNI VII -> a different D11 -> U20.  The OMNI is already protected by its own diode confusingly also named D11 so the D11 in the Hercules II isn't necessary but contributes .6V of the 1.2V above ground.

I tried substituting a Schottky for the Hercules D11. It didn't suffice. Perhaps Schottkys for both D11's would but since Ten-Tec service recommends just shorting the H II D11, that's what I did.

Jon