[TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Apr 14 11:45:40 EDT 2014

Bob, it is a bit more complex than that.

If you were to give each of those 4 radios (a, b, c, d) a different brand
name and try to sell them independently of each other, then you are 100%
correct; the bulk would be with c and d.  The revenue and even total profit
(not profit per box) will be with those two categories.

Now introduce "brand" into the scenario.

IMO, Yaesu has figured this out the best.
They start by building an expensive high end box, migrate some of the
features downwards, then advertise it as "FTdx5000 Heritage".  And Joe Ham
swallows that hook, line and sinker - even though often a is indeed a good
box and c is a piece of crap.
This tactic increases (slightly) the amount of money Joe is willing to pay
for c and d.  Multiply that increase times volume and you're in business!

In order to make c and d attractive, it helps to have good brand recognition
in a and b, even if that's not where you make the money.  I'm not sure you
need 4 classes of radios, but you do need 3.

EXAMPLE:  Alinco; they are really only active in category d.  How many
Alinco hf transceivers do we hear on the air?  There is no sex and glory in
an Alinco, even though they are just as good as the FT-450.  The difference
is brand recognition.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)