[TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Apr 15 00:29:20 EDT 2014

Stuart, this is how it really works, and you don't need some director:

We were patching back to the states and to Nam but not with a very good
signal.
One of our regular customers was the Commanding General's XYL.

I invited her to the MARS station and told her it works a little better when
sitting on the radio rather than using the telephone.  (which it does)
We had set up a little staging area for people waiting their turn to patch.

I showed her around the station, and explained that we had really old shabby
equipment and poor antennas, but every request for more money had been
turned down.  I also told her we were buying the coffee and cookies in the
staging area out of our own pocket because we didn't want to serve civilians
GI-coffee.

It took about 10 days.
I was called into my CO's office who couldn't help but smile as he asked,
"what have you done?"
He then said that I should make a list of what I wanted, we were getting new
equipment.
"Orders from above."

So I wrote down a wish list (actually a dream list), including stuff that
was not normal military issue (an amplifier built by Raytrack).
I got everything on the list.  Every last piece.
:Two KWM2's, an S-Line including the 30S1, one new tower (the old tower was
still good), a 4-elelent monobander for 20m, two new CDE rotors, and bunches
of coax and wire with which I built the wire beams listed on my web site.

So now the secret is out.
Now you guys know who really runs the army!
The Commanding General's XYL!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)