[TenTec] mike

Rodney w3krq at dejazzd.com
Sun Apr 20 10:10:33 EDT 2014

Natural voice and intelligibility

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Reid
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:18 AM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] mike

Rodney,

I read your  posts but I am not really sure what you accomplished in your
microphone test.  Were you trying to find the mic that sounded the most like
your natural voice, or were you going for intelligibility ?

I have been a recording engineer for years, and own my own studio.  It is
not uncommon to try several microphones of the same type and find slight
differences in the frequency response.  If these two mics have the same
element, you might end up back where you started.

If the mic is unidirectional, proximity effect will come into play, as well
as how the capsule is vented, mounted, whether or not there is a pop filter
under the screen, etc.  Even the length of the coaxial mic cable can add
capacitance to an unbalanced mic circuit.

If you are going for intelligibility, try having a qso and keep reducing
power until you can barely be heard, then try both mics.

Doug  WD4LNW