[TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

Lee ny6p01 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:52:10 EDT 2014

On Apr 23, 2014 5:09 PM, "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw at blomand.net> wrote:

> RF issues to a large degree depend on the type and location of ones
antenna. Certainly an indoor antenna is not the ideal and is far from the
better configuration but often our circumstances dictate that as the only
choice. The reduction in power to 40 watts seems to bear this fact out.

> No ground needed in my case and I run near legal limit, 160M - 10M, with
no issues.  The mike of choice is the 709A or the 707.  The radio is the
Omni VII but my antennas are some 100 ft from the station equipment.
 Separation works.

> As to success with the Jupiter, I think you'll find it a much better
receiver than the model mentioned.  I suggest the 709A mike for that radio.
You will likely need common mode chokes on the feedline, power line and any
other line going to/from the radio.  Also be sure to have a dedicated
ground/bond between the radio ground terminal and the power supply ground
terminal.  Do not just rely on the DC power cord for this application.

> 73
> Bob, K4TAX

Many thanks, Bob. I already have a coax balun at the feedpoint. Will need
to do the other suggestions.