[TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Apr 24 08:56:46 EDT 2014

Perhaps it is fair to call the FLEX 6x00 average, but IMO we as amateur
radio operators have done a VERY POOR JOB of telling the manufacturers what
we want.  If I were FLEX, I would congratulate myself for doing a good job,
rather than thinking about how I can make it better.  After all, many people
seem to think it is OK as is.

Here is my argument, based on Rob's work:
http://www.dj0ip.de/gallery/tx-spectral-purity-imd/

When SSB came in, we didn't throw a big switch and eliminate AM.
In fact it is still here today on some of the bands.
But over time the bands got better, as far as spectrum usage.
We are squeezing in 3x as many QSO into the same space as before.

Getting cleaner transmitters won't fix everything immediately but within 10
years things will be a lot better.
AND, if at that time we all gang up on the remaining people with broad
signals, we can possibly persuade them to buy newer, better transceivers.
Or at least we can influence them not to run an amp behind an FT-450D (which
is probably the worst radio currently in production as far as IMD goes).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)