[TenTec] (no subject)

John Henry jhenry at tentec.com
Thu Apr 24 09:59:30 EDT 2014

Rick,

Yep, you are right, the manufacturer should do his part if there is a need,
and I myself agree that there is a need. I would certainly NOT want my
transmission at 14.25 to affect the guys at 14.27, which appears to be what
you guys are really referring to, not simply the 3khz bw I seem to be
transmitting in, but farther away. We have transitioned the 588 and 599
amps from bipolars to fets (like the 418 already uses, sort of), and that
actually improves the IMD numbers some, but not to the point you guys are
asking for. Price of the components is close enough to be considered the
same, so, with the next shipment of 588s and 599s, we will be a tad bit
cleaner, just not as far as you are asking for.
However, for the next rig, we know what to do, and are going to improve
them to be near or past the numbers you are asking for.

I think your last statement....

FINALLY, yes we all agree that there are a lot of LIDS out there who
over-drive their transmitters, but we need to stop injecting that excuse
every time we have a technical discussion about our transmitters.  It too is
a problem but there the solution really lies in our hands, not in the hands
of the manufacturer.  We must do a better job as Elmers.

is EXTREMELY important. Those who are truly active elmers, and those who
are     knowledgeable current users, need to try to ensure that their
combination of "stuff" doesn't generate more crap than they should.
Granted, they can't improve the basic radio they have, BUT, they can try to
do what they can to improve it when using an amp, external tuner, etc.
Maybe their 3:1 SWR contributes to it somewhat, and they should try to
tweak that 238c a bit more to get it a bit better. I don't know if a given
rig transmits cleaner at a lower power level or not, some do, some don't,
but if a given ham's does transmit cleaner at 90, then train that ham to
try to use 90 instead of 100, or if he has an amp that is clean, well, use
15 on his rig instead of 20, and use his amp to get 480 instead of 500 (or
whatever the numbers really need to be) all in the direction of making his
signal cleaner with only a drop of 1/10th of an S Unit to his listener....
So, I think that a good course of action is two fold, manufacturers improve
(TEN-TEC), and a bit of training of hams on how to get it better. You
experts out there can figure out how better to tell other hams how to clean
their existing equipment a LOT better than I can, after all, I'm still a
lowly tech......

No, don't want you to go away, hah, at least don't go away mad, lol, was
just kidding, the proverbial monkey on my back, lol. After all, if you
aren't on my back for receiver performance, you are for transmit
performance, then when transmit performance is better, hmmm, what's next?
lol

Never feel you can't give me/TEN-TEC input, I may jump, but I will always
listen.

Take care

Thanks, and 73,
John Henry, KI4JPL