[TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Apr 25 08:45:48 EDT 2014

Good post, Rick.  Your statement about speculation here matches mine.

So...

My friend is looking for a "station monitor" - he wants an old Kenwood
model, but said he would take a good shape Heathkit model if necessary.

	So...   what is the current day cheapest,
	yet effective, station monitor one could use.

	And what would he do with data that suggests
	his station is transmitting wider than it
	should?

Maybe an SDR dongle or FiFi-SDR type unit with good software showing
high resolution and a sound card with high sampling rates?  Or  maybe
one of those inexpensive (sometimes free) software oscilloscopes?  Or a
USB-based oscilloscope?  Or should one bite for a 100MHz Rigol or
Tektronix type scopes?

Or is some OTHER device more suited to the task?

A friend came over with a $40,000 device that produces a tone and is
supposed to scope out what it sees, hears, etc., to test whether or not
my old Kenwood R-2000 receiver tunes on frequency or is the display off.
  Unfortunately, I don't think he was working it right, even though he
gave it a clean bill of health.  But, I certainly cannot afford one of
those in any case!

So... what would the well-intentioned, yet moderately impecunious ham DO
in this case?

AND... what would he DO in case it appeared his station was shooting
wide of the mark?