[TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 25 12:32:09 EDT 2014

On 4/25/2014 6:21 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Personally, I went a different direction and purchased a RIGOL
> DSA815-TG. Now this cost a good bit more, less than $1500 delivered,
> but does a LOT MORE in terms of being a piece of test equipment thus
> allowing one not only to "see" their signal but make other analysis of
> their signal.  It has a tracking generator or signal generator that is
> quite nice for other work as well. This product was reviewed in QST
> some months ago.  Performance wise and feature wise it compares
> favorably to my $30K HP Spectrum Analyzer, except the DSA815-TG weighs
> 9 lbs and the HP some 45 lbs. and it is about 1/8the the size of the HP.

I also had the HP 8590D, but added the same Rigol a year or so ago. It's
a convenient tool. but when I was using the Rigol to poke for emissions
from a switching power supply, the emissions from the Rigol's own
switching power supply was a limit on what I could measure.  Before I
figured that out, I had also bought a Rigol sampling scope, and am using
that to look at transmitted waveforms, etc.

For monitoring band activity and looking at other transmitted signals,
the P3 on the receiver IF is a winner.

> In any event, understanding how to use and analyze the data presented
> from any piece of test equipment or station equipment is the advanced
> key to success.

Yes.

As to a computer to run the radio and to do logging -- at least part of
the problem is screen real estate. I use the DXLab suite of software to
do logging, process spots, and so on, and it fills most of my screen, so
I would need another screen for the SDR. My ancient Thinkpads running XP
Pro can support that, but if I want to run anything else, like
propagation prediction software, or a browser, I'm out of horsepower and
screen space, and have overflowed to another laptop.

73, Jim K9YC