[TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Apr 25 18:31:33 EDT 2014

I have used the Wellbrook ALA-100M receiving loop for over a decade
with good results at two locations.  It is a "medium or large aperture"
loop, because you supply whatever size wire loop you want.  I used mine
outside, but you could do it inside, but of course it tends to be more
RF quiet the farther you get away from your dwelling.  Wellbrook also
makes a model that uses a 1 meter alum loop, which works well indoors.
The loop does not have to be round or symmetrical, and you can use very
light litz wire which is nearly invisible outside.  They can also be
used indoors, as in an attic, but you don't want to be listening on it
when you are transmitting on it, if you cannot locate it at least 1/4 to
1/2 wavelength away from the transmitter antenna (which applies to all
receive only antennas I suppose.)  These work on the magnetic portion of
the electromagnetic waves we work with, as does Rick's project.

See The Wellbrook products here:

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/

I have also used a DX-Engineering active whip with good results.  I have
mine in the front yard, away from the transmitting antennas in the back
yard, and it has a very low profile.  These work on the electrical
portion of the electromagnetic waves we work with.  They have a single
vertical whip model, and a dipole model, and you can see them here:

single vertical model:

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-arav3-1p

dipole model:

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-arah3-1p

I have used both the Wellbrook loop and the DX-E active whip with good
results as receive only HF antenna on my small suburban lot, although
they are substantially more expensive than Rick's home brew project.  I
know several SWL's who have built similar loops to Rick's project, with
good results. It is a classic.

Happy trails.