[TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Apr 27 23:05:40 EDT 2014

My bet is, you will blow the Pre-Amp.
You have to separate those things!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 2:29 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

On 4/27/2014 5:05 PM, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:
   Only
> problem is that I plan on employing it on the same mast with the
> transmitting antenna. Is that bad practice? The reason is that I am
> not allowed an outdoor antenna, and I live in a small flat.

	ER... um... maybe.   Even Wellbrook says one should
	locate it away from strong transmit antennas to
	avoid overloading the receiver input.

	I think the correct answer is that it all depends
	on how well you isolate the receiver input from
	the transmit antenna and whether or not you use
	a separate receiver from the transmit radio, and
	similar considerations.  SO2R installations have
	similar issues - sometimes guys use a "front end
	protector" as is reviewed in QST this month, and
	other guys use a "time sequencer" to kill the \
	antenna when transmitting, tied to the PTT line
	and still others use a separate receive-only
	antenna input on the rig, as is available on the
	Omni VII, but not the Eagle.

	Yep... This COULD be a serious concern if not
	fully thought out.

	BUT YOU COULD TRY IT AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT
	AS A RECEIVE ONLY ANTENNA AND DEAL WITH THE
	TRANSMIT LOGISTICS LATER...

> Then, I'll think about the antenna. I've already started to look for a
> frame for the loop - I'm thinking 3/4" pvc; and flexible copper tubing
> for the main loop.

		I know SWLs often use hula hoops ...