[TenTec] Omni VI mystery

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Mon Apr 28 15:39:37 EDT 2014

OTA testing with W5DV just now has demonstrated that something is goofed up
in the frequency alignment.  When he transmits at 14.050.00, I must tune
14,050.70 to hear him with a 700 hz. tone.  On transceive, when I go back
to him, he hears nothing, as my transmit frequency is zerobeat on
14,050.00.   When I call him on 14,050.00 he hears me, but I don't hear
him, because I am zero beat with his signal.  I dialed in -.70 of XIT and
we hear each other as expected.  I copy him on 14,050.70 and he copies me
sending on 14,050.00.  That's not how this is supposed to work.

I also notice that adjusting the sidetone frequency doesn't appear to
change the transmit frequency. It does change the difference between the
received frequency where the beat note is zero'd with the sidetone, which
amounts to the same thing, I guess.

I also checked out both VFO A and B and they are the same.

This radio was at TenTec in March and thoroughly checked out.

Is this frequency alignment easy, or require special test equipment, etc?

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen