[TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Aug 18 14:13:50 EDT 2014

Jim, it doesn't have to be a perfect radial network to work.
But you need something.

Of course the better the radial network, the better it will work.
If nothing else, just lay out a wire around the fundament of the house and
run it wherever you can for as long as you can (within reason).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Jim Allen
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:04 PM
To: k9yc at arrl.net; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

Of course.  I don't have a balun.  The choke is on this side of the tuner.

Radials are a problem here on the Rock Ranch where there is just enough soil
to grow weeds, and rock outcroppings are everywhere.  If they weren't a
problem, I'd have some, a bunch in fact.  Putting in a ground rod was about
like carving the face of Mt. Rushmore!  Some poor recent arrival from far
south of here spent two and a half days working like a rented mule!

In this HOA infested area, I'm always plotting and scheming to improve my
antenna situation, and with only 5 watts you need to conserve every little
db you can.  I'm too old and decrepit to put in a tower, even if I could put
in a proper base which is near impossible, not only because of the HOA.
It's ironic how, when you are young and foolish and relatively broke, you
save and scrimp and eat beans to get a tower and huge antenna, and now, when
money is not the limitation, age and health is!  Phooey!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen