[TenTec] OT: Working DX on 160m with low dipoles

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Aug 21 20:12:12 EDT 2014

Steve,

Good point. I don't disagree that there are exceptions like this, but
for most paths at most times, low angle paths predominate.

If you study the tutorial I referenced, you'll see that a height between
a quarter wave and 3/8 wave is near ideal for high angle work. That's
130 - 200 ft on 160. Horizontal antennas suffer increasingly greater
ground losses as height is reduced.

73, Jim K9YC