[TenTec] MIKE & Eagle

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Aug 24 20:02:08 EDT 2014

Agreed... all points. YES, a wind screen is a good plan, for both audio
quality and sanitation... and a little care in mic placement can also be
a huge help.

One of the most common ham radio mistakes (I think) is poor headset
microphone placement.  It should  be placed to the side, just off the
corner of the mouth,  where one is far less likely to breath, puff and
pop into it... but not too far out, just enough to the side to be clear
of your breathing.

BUT THE WORST ASPECT IS that PRODUCT PHOTOS AND SALES LITERATURE OFTEN
DEPICT THE MICROPHONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SPEAKER'S MOUTH AND RIGHT
UNDER HIS NOSE -  and that makes it difficult to convince operators to
move it over and out of the way.    This is another example of Marketing
having NO CLUE what Engineering is doing.   Even companies producing
speech recognition software, and companies making commercial phone
center headsets,  have marketing photos depicting the microphone RIGHT
UNDER THEIR NOSES...  (pun intended)  where it is most likely to pick up
huffs, puffs and especially pops from plosives like P and T and B, etc.

One of my biggest pet peeves in ham radio is the old timer who huffs,
puffs and pops his way through a conversation about how to be a good
operator.    Ohhhh ...  that really burns me up!  (Say this last line
aloud in your best Yosemite Sam voice...)      ;-)

.