[TenTec] Mike & Eagle

Tue Aug 26 08:30:03 EDT 2014

Yes, the connectors are "tight" in terms of working space.  Too much heat,
i.e. too large of a tip will transfer too much heat and things begin to
melt.

For audio quality determinations, I prefer to use the "comparison" method.
I'll outline my method.  This does require two suitable radios.

Having the "monitor" radio being the 2nd radio connected to the computer for
digital modes, I use that signal path along with a free software being
AUDACITY to record the audio.  I first find a signal on the band that I
think sounds specially good and I record about 30 seconds of that signal.
That becomes my "reference" signal.  I also use external speakers on the
computer and listen to both the reference signal and my test signal through
these speakers.   Remember, the path much be identical for accurate
comparisons.

 Now using the mike and radio of choice on a dummy load, same mode,
frequency and such.  I transmit about 30 seconds while recording that
transmission and then listen to it and the other signal.  AUDACITY allows
one to easily switch between the two recorded segments.   By doing this one
is using the exact audio path, computer, speakers and such to judge ones
audio.  If it doesn't sound as you wish, then adjustments of any nature
should be made.  This includes mike-to-mouth position or changes in audio
levels, speech processing or even changing mikes.  Again repeat the process
and each time a change is made and compare the new configuration to the
reference signal that one thinks sounds specially good.

Now admittingly, ones personal voice will not typically sound exactly like
another's voice, but one can easily discern the differences.  When finished,
just note the various values on the radio, the mouth-to-mike position and
such.  From this one can be quite reasonably assured their signal will
always sound great on the air.

In using this process, if humm, clicks, buzz or such is heard on the
comparative recordings, the source should be investigated and resolved.

I will stress that using the Monitor mode or headphones while recording ones
audio will not accurately  reveal the true audio sound.

73
Bob, K4TAX