[TenTec] Tentec Jupiter and Heil Mics

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Aug 31 03:48:24 EDT 2014

On 8/31/2014 1:53 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> I've never needed a preamp with a dynamic mic into a Ten Tec rig.

Well... (he said with a smile, and in good humor...) you just have not
LIVED until you try one!     ;-)

Consider:

	Different Strokes Dept.  No. 297873

We agree using the front panel microphone input should not require a
preamp...  yet, I MOST OFTEN use a preamp with several different
microphones as I prefer using the LINE-IN input on my Omni VII, and the
not front panel mic input jack,  in which case the preamp handily brings
the microphone output up to line level, and (depending on the
microphone) supplies phantom voltage as well.

I generally prefer working at line level, especially with computer sound
cards,  PA systems, radios, recording systems, etc.,  as I figure the
external preamp is cleaner than the little one that is built into a the
computer sound card, PA, recorder, or radio.   I am not saying it is
always cleaner, just that I blithely presume it, and since I pay the
bills, I usually get my way !   The customer is always right at my
house. ...   ;-)

So, we agree, using the front panel mic input should not require a
preamp.  But I say a pre-amp can be a very handy item when using
alternate inputs.

Happy days, and Happy Holiday Weekend, OM.