[TenTec] NB verses NR

Carl Moreschi n4py3 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 12:51:20 EST 2014

Ken's description does not apply to how noise blankers work with DSP
systems.  But the idea is the same.  In DSP systems the audio path is
muted for a few milliseconds when the sharp pulse is detected.  But in
all systems it is very important for the pulse detection to occur before
sharp filtering in order to preserve the sharp pulse spike.

I know that in the 1950's Collins did actually use a separate blanking
detection receiver that ran on 9 mhz with its own antenna.  I never used
one but it must have been good.

The main point of all this was to try and explain the difference between
NR and NB as there seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com