[TenTec] NB verses NR

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Dec 15 15:22:55 EST 2014

OK, sorry, I didn't understand that it was an either/or.
I thought you were switching them in series.
I didn't think you had an amplifier, but Barry clarified that.

The OM6 with the Inrad is truly a superb rig, but I don't think it's
effectively any better than a standard Eagle with the appropriate filters
installed.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Peter
Bertini
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 8:21 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NB verses NR

*
The problem with placing two filters directly in series is, you will drop
about 6dB of gain, assuming they are narrow filters.  This needs to be
compensated for with a low gain, low distortion amp.  I also used two 9 MHz
filters in series with my old Argonaut 509; I replaced the original 4-pole
xtal filter with an 8-pole KVG XF-9B, then placed a 6-pole 500 Hz Yaesu
filter behind it. The signals I could no longer hear due to the additional
insertion loss were too weak to work anyway with only 5w.*

Rick,  I am not sure what you are saying here... as I mentioned, I have two
of the Inrad Omni VI roofing boards installed.  Only ONE is active at a
time--the SSB filter, or the CW filter when the N1 option is selected. Both
filter boards are never active at the same time.

If having one Inrad board inline is causing excessive losses, I have never
seen any reviews that advise against using the Inrad roofing filter kits.

I do understand that the improved skirts will cause ringing on noise
impulses, but I am living with that problem. Hopefully one day I'll be able
to upgrade to an Omni Plus or Orion... I'm waiting for TT to come up with a
super radio and I am hoping the market becomes flooded with Orions!

Pete