[TenTec] Orion II Questions

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Dec 19 17:13:39 EST 2014

Good stuff.     So,  I suppose I am nuts for turning AGC off, and
working the RF-GAIN control?

I understand Rob Sherwood, among others, have problems with local noise
causing issues with AGC on the Omni VII and other radios - a strong
local noise event causes AGC to silence the rig for a moment.  This can
be somewhat annoying, not to mention inconvenient.   So, I simply turn
AGC off and operate without it.

Is AGC really a boon,  or necessary feature,  ...or merely a convenience
saving us from tweaking the knobs during a contact. Some guys don't use
DSP NR... obviously we do not always embrace newer, high tech
features.   ;-)   ;-)

Am I out of step here?

As for actual plots, that would be interesting... I think TT provides a
a brief explanation of the AGC functions in the manual and in
documentation supporting the more recent firmware, but I found it  a bit
terse and technical -  not all ham operators are engineers, so I would
appreciate a less technical gloss thereon.