[TenTec] Eagle 9MHz tap questions.

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Tue Dec 23 18:12:54 EST 2014

Hi Rick -- a few thoughts:

1)  Why not use a FunkAmateur FiFi  for the second receiver ?  If you
wanna try mine, I will mail it to you right away!   Mine is one of the
later models with  a preselector - and we all know you like
preselectors!    ;-)    Really... just ask and it will be on its way.

2)  While I see value in using a panadapter on occasion, I honestly do
anticipate you will like it terribly much, or suspect it will be a
particularly good fit with our operating style.  I am NOT picking a
fight or poking fun or being critical - just saying I don't think you
will be too excited about in the long run.

3)  In any case, Carl's program handles it all well enough, better (I
think) than using the LPB2 bridge program to broker data between
applications and devices.  (Cue Carl to curtsy now...)

4)  I also anticipate you would prefer the 9 kHz tap over merely sharing
the receiver input with a Y-adapter, because the 9 kHz tap allows the
second receiver device to monitor and display what is happening at that
point within the Eagle's own receiver, rather than serving as a second
receiver to monitor the band in parallel with the Eagle.   Heck, if that
is all you wanted, you might be better off running the second receiver
on its own stealthy antenna and simply coordinating the two rigs with
Carl's program.   Idid that with a TenTec RX-320D with  good results.
As a band scope, that works swell.   But I suspect you would prefer to
monitor the Eagle's own internal activity, not provide just a parallel
receiver display for checking band conditions.

Happy days, OM.