[TenTec] 2nd Try: SDR Technology ?

Carl Moreschi n4py3 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 27 12:22:18 EST 2014

Let me take a shot at this.

There are basically two types of SDR panadapter receivers.

1) Direct converison receivers.  These use the same method as the old
Tentec Century 21 and convert RF directly to audio and then digitize it.
  The audio image is removed by the phasing method like the very old
original SSB transmitters.  The disadvantage to these radios is you
might hear the oscillator running and this might appear on the display.
  Normally they run the oscillator with a 10 khz offset to get it away
form the signal of interest.  The other disadvantage of this type of
receiver is it will use your sound card.  The stock sound card in most
computers only allows 48 khz of spectrum.  You can get a more expensive
sound card to put in your computer that can increase the spectrum to 192
khz.  Examples of this type are all the Softrock receives.  All the Flex
radios prior to the 6000 series use this method.

2) Direct sampling receivers.  These radios convert the RF signal at the
antenna directly to digital.  They do not use your computer sound card.
  They are normally very sensitive.  They usually can display many mhz
of spectrum.  Examples of these receivers are the Tapr Hermes, Flex 6000
series, Elad FDM-S2, Microtelecom Perseus.

Clearly the direct sampling receivers are better but they also cost a
lot more. And if the direct conversion radios are done correctly, they
can also work very well.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549