[TenTec] Care and Feeding of Centurions

Sun Feb 2 16:10:13 EST 2014

Well from experience, many fans have a "lifetime warranty".  Now from my
take, when the fan fails that is the end of its life and thus the end of the
warranty.  Same for "lifetime lubrication" in my thinking.

Why did the fan become noisy?  Likely due to bearing wear, thus due to lack
of lubrication.  I just finished a SB-220 in which the fan was squalling
like a Banshee.  Cleaning and a couple of drops of oil will keep it alive
for a few more years.

>From experience with broadcast transmitters from the '40's to current day
power amps, proper cleaning and lubrication is the key to keeping things
running.  For example, loosing cooling is certain death to either of those
items.  Of course many BC transmitters have air flow sensors and switches
that will shut things down when the cooling fails.

Interestingly, we hams insist on amps to which the fans make little to no
noise.  So since these do not usually have airflow sensing, and hopefully
they are very quiet or we are wearing headphones, how do we know we've lost
cooling?  Usually when smoke comes out of the box.

ASSUME ???      Don't ever do this!  Break it down to 3 syllables:   3
letters      1 letter      2 letters   Now what do you have?

73
Bob, K4TAX