[TenTec] Care and Feeding of Centurions

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Feb 2 18:53:03 EST 2014

Whoa...  THANKS FOR ALL THE PROMPT ANSWERS !!

1)  I will follow the recommended internal check.   I will enlist the
oversight of a local Elmer who retired from designing radio gear for
Lear Jets, NASA, and the Air Force.  He looks over my shoulder ans asks
a lot of questions, like the Professor in a college physics lab.   He
won't do it, but he watches and quizzes me as I go along, so I learn a
lot.

2)  I will locate the referenced QST article, and be careful it applies
to this type of amp.

3)  I get the point that proper handling is the key to longevity.  I
never run it over 600 watts and watch the meters carefully.   I received
good advice on proper tuning from this group when I purchased it, so I
got off to a good start.  I never push it, as I am serious about being a
courteous and good operator, with a good clean signal.    Similarly, I
buy big cars with big engines, and then run them easy, usually owning a
car for up to fifteen years. ... Well... OK...  that is, most of the
time... occasionally, I take the sports cars out for a "spirited ride"
because, like a good racing or hunting hound, they need the exercise...
   ;-)

4)    As for a spare transformer... sheesh... while I take the point
seriously... I don't expect to last another 20 years!   My wife says,
we agreed  "... until death do us part..."   which she says could come
sooner or later... so all bets are off!

Thanks, again.