[TenTec] TT 422 Blowing Fuses

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 22:31:58 EST 2014

Thanks guys,

It does appear that I was partly mistaken about how the soft start circuit works with the three
relays.

Power is indeed applied to the transformer whenever AC Power switch is turned on and the
interlock is closed and the 12V is applied.

I think this amp has some quite a complex circuits. it is a device that I had not studied at all
before. Having so many interacting PC boards, I may have misunderstood the sequence at
turn on for the two main switches. I hope that I have enough smarts left in me to figure this
out carefully, and understand what is going on when the HV transformer gets back to me in a
few weeks from Gary Brown. I will leave no stone unturned in checking all of the diodes,
caps, transistors etc. before I start getting ready to apply any power.

What I do know is that he 12V supply works, the filaments and pilot lamps light up when they
should. HV Transformer had an intact secondary. One primary shorted.

When the transformer gets back to me rewound, I plan to start it up on 120V at first, as one
peson suggested and make sure I can get at least 800V or so of HT before proceeding
further.

Again huge thanks to everyone (including Robb) who has made efforts to guide me in this
troubleshooting and repair. You guys' knowledge and experience are a huge help for
somoene looking at this for the first time and pondering what the heck goes on in this
wonderful box of tricks!

73 from AF4K
Bry