[TenTec] Troubleshooting Argonaut 505 with low output

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Fri Feb 7 18:17:08 EST 2014

The elevator is aligned properly so that both receive and transmit peak at
the same point.

Thanks to everyone for the other troubleshooting tips. The problem turned
out to be much more prosaic: low power supply voltage. Using a 12V
switching power supply from an old laptop, I was only getting 5.5V peak at
the antenna jack. However, the supply only measured 11.5V. With an SLA
battery partly charged at 13.0V I got a much more reasonable 12V peak
output for a power of 1.4W which is at least in the ballpark for this
radio.

Thanks again for the advice, including checking all parts of the station
before blaming the old radio.

-Neil KD0UKC