[TenTec] Argonaut 505

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Feb 12 16:30:31 EST 2014

My best QSO in about 25 years of using the 505 and 509 was a 20 minute SSB
QSO with Australia on 15m.  I was in Berlin.  My report was a constant 59
until close to the end when it dropped to 57.  I did have a 4 element Yagi
though, so that helps.

Oh, and my best performance with the 509 was taking first place overall in
Europe in CW Field Day in the QRP class.  That time it was just wires, no
beam, but my call sign gave me a few extra dB.  I was signing HB0/DJ0IP/p
from Schaan, Liechtenstein.

IMO, the Argonaut 5xx series is the finest QRP line of radios ever built.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of geoffrey
mendelson
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:16 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 505

On 2/12/2014 8:51 PM, JAMES HANLON wrote:
> Don't give up on that Argonaut 505.  I had mine on 40 SSB yesterday
afternoon and talked to a bunch of guys all over New Mexico.  My QTH is
Sandia Park, near Albuquerque.

I know they are not the same rig, but close. I had worked a ham near Kiev
last summer on 10m using an Argo 509. 1 watt PEP.  Roughly 1300 miles. Not a
record by any means, but a data point.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ