[TenTec] Power Supply temperature

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Tue Feb 18 21:20:19 EST 2014

Thank you Clayton,

It sounds like this is a very common thing with Tentec Radios / Power supplies of the 1980s.
Maybe into the 1990s as well. I am sure the engineers just expected you to keep things from
touching the super hot heatsink back there, and also never to live in Florida (grin!) A fan is
definitely going to get added.

I have been loving this OMNI VI Plus though. The S meter is a terrible liar, and my noise level
can be anywhere from S2 to S6 here on most bands. It hovers around S4 usually which is
annoying, and it rarely ever reaches S9 even on the striongest signals.

I still manage to have a lot of contacts, especially with the SKCC Group. This afternoon I
worked a guy up in the northeast who was using a Heathkit HW8 and running 8 watts out. He
hit S5 on my S meter which is an actual S7. Not bad for 2 watts.

73 de AF4K, Bry