[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Sat Feb 22 20:12:30 EST 2014

As part of my collection, I have Drake 2B receiver and a Gonset GSB100
phasing exciter.  One night I wound up in a round table with a bunch of
HiFi SSB aficionados 0n 40 meters.  These guys were running advanced
equalizers and high-end microphones. Then had the latest Oriental
Transceivers. They even had audio spectrum analyzers to check out each
others signals.  So, I asked for an evaluation, and they were quite
complimentary.  So, they asked what I was running, and I told them a
1957 vintage phasing exciter with a D104 mic.  They were amazed!  Sure,
it drifts, and it is hard to get it right on frequency by zerobeating
the receiver BFO with the carrier on the exciter.  But it is a lot of
fun to use.

Steve WA9JML